Apply PAN Card Online
Nowadays with the advancement of globalization, people are migrating from one country to another in pursuit of specialized studies as well as jobs very frequently over the decades. In India, having a Pan Card number is as important as having any identification proof. In fact, Pan Card is compulsory for all those Indian residential people who are taxpayers. But in the case of Non-Residential Indians or NRIs, they also need to have a Pan Card in case they intend to participate in stocks or receive rent from India. To understand how NRIs can apply for pan card in India, it is important to get a detailed idea about Pan Cards and the same has been given below.
PAN stands for Permanent Account Number. To put it simply, it may be described as a code which plays a vital role in the identification of an individual, family, and corporate especially one which pays income tax. The Indian Income Tax Department mainly emerges this card which is controlled by the Central Board for Direct Taxes.
Mandatory documents needed to apply
NRI applicants must submit these documents while applying for their Pan Card are-
- 2 copies of recent photographs
- Copy of passport
- Copy of bank account statement of an overseas country
- Proof of address
- Proof of death of birth
Process for NRIs to apply for PAN Card
There is a certain procedure stipulated by the Indian Income Tax Department for NRIs to apply for their Pan Card. If you are an NRI and do not have your Pan Card yet, then follow these simple steps given below :
Those who are planning to apply for their pan card, visit https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/newpanforeign.html site and go through these steps.
- An applicant has to log in to the official website of TIN-NSDL for further process.
- As NRIs have Indian citizenship, an applicant needs to fill up form 49A providing the necessary information required. If an NRI applicant has citizenship of another country, he/she has to fill up form 49AA.
- Then an applicant must submit his or her necessary documents such as photographs, Identity proof, address proof and age proof.
- After confirming the provided information, an applicant has to click on the submit option.
- A payment window will open. The processing payment has to be done through a credit card or cheque/DD from an Indian bank.
- A fee of Rs.107 should be paid if the communication address of an applicant is in India otherwise Rs.989 should be paid.
- An acknowledgment will appear. An applicant has to Print the acknowledgment and sign in the right spaces and attach two copies of photographs.
- If an applicant does not pay through credit card, then he or she has to attach the cheque/DD with the acknowledgment and other documents and post it to the address given in the acknowledgment.
- An applicant will get his or her pan card within 21 working days from receipt of the acknowledgment.
Why pan card is mandatory for NRIs?
Pan Card may not be necessary for every NRI, but NRIs who have their income sources such as rent, stocks and shares, mutual fund etc. in India must have their Pan Card. So, NRIs applying for a Pan Card is, of course, a good decision.
- If the communication address of an applicant is of a foreign country then he or she must complete his or her payment through debit/credit card or DD. Recently foreign credit cards are not working.
- Pan Card dispatch is not available in all countries. It is available in some selected for only 105 countries and the list is available on the official NSDL site. So, before applying, one needs to go through the relevant list at first.