Ayushman Bharat Yojana or Ayushman Bharat or Pradhan Mantri Jan Aarogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY)
Ayushman Bharat Yojana is a Government Scheme initiated by the Government (NDA) and launched by PM Modi on 25 Sept 2018. The scheme aims to create a healthy, capable and content new India. Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY) will provide financial protection (Swasthya Suraksha) to 10.74 crore poor, deprived rural families and identified occupational categories of urban workers’ families as per the latest Socio-Economic Caste Census (SECC) data (approx. 50 crore beneficiaries).
It has twin goals, one, creating a network of health and wellness infrastructure across the nation to deliver comprehensive primary healthcare services, and another is to provide national health insurance cover to rural household of India’s population which is majorly deprived of secondary and tertiary care services.
Often dubbed as ‘Modicare’, the scheme is the largest state-funded health insurance scheme and a massive leap forward toward universal health care and protecting around 40% vulnerable population from huge health-care expenditure. More than 10.74 crore poor and vulnerable families (approximately 50 crore beneficiaries) covered across the country.
When fully implemented, the PM-JAY will become the world’s largest government funded health protection mission.
Ayushman Bharat Yojana offers following benefits:
- Cashless Treatment at Public/Private Healthcare Providers
- Secondary and Tertiary care hospitalization treatments coverage
- 5 Lakhs cover per family per year
- No cap on size of family or age of family members
- No money needs to be paid by the family for treatment in case of hospitalization
- Pre-existing diseases covered from Day 1 of enrolment of the scheme
- Portable across India at all empanelled healthcare Providers
- Fixed Transportation Allowance payable from place of residence to hospital
- AYUSH (Alternative Medicine Systems other than Allopathic) also covered
- 1,350 medical packages covering surgery, medical and day care treatments, cost of medicines and diagnostics
The scheme is an entitlement based, the beneficiary is decided on the basis of family being listed in SECC database of 2011. (Socio -Economic Caste Census)
A list of eligible families has been shared with the respective state government as well as ANMs/BMO/BDOs of relevant area. Only families whose name is on the list are entitled for the benefits of PM-JAY. Additionally, any family that has an active RSBY card as of 28 February 2018 is covered. There is no capping on family size and age of members, which will ensure that all family members specifically girl child and senior citizens will get coverage.
Currently no online registration form is available for registration to this scheme.
Government is soon launching a online tool for registrations which will be updated as soon as that is launched. Once registered beneficiaries will receive Ayushman Bharat Family Health Cards similar to health insurance cards.
Patients can reach out for information, assistance, complaints and grievances to a 24X7 helpline number – 14555