Marriage Registration Online and Marriage Certificate
A marriage certificate is a crucial and important document for marriages. It’s the proof of the marriage being certified by the law. The certificate is an official proof of marriage between two people. In India, marriages are registered under two acts mainly, one being the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 and the other one being the Special Marriage Act, 1954. Since it is a vital part of the documentation of the marriage the Supreme Court of India made it mandatory for all the marriages to be registered in the year 2006.
How much time does it take for the marriage to be certified?
It may take any number of days starting from 3 to around 15. However, it is advised to register the marriage as soon as possible as there is a fee for delaying the registration after the marriage.
How to register a marriage online?
- Visit the site eDistrict Services Portal (Delhi).
- Select your district and fill in the details of the husband.
- Go for Registration of Marriage Certificate’.
- Fill in the Marriage Certificate form as instructed and choose a date of appointment as per your convenience.
- Click on the “Submit Application” icon and a temporary number will then be generated and allotted to you.
- It can take up to 15 days for the marriages that fall under the Hindu Marriage Act to get an appointment. However, it takes around 60 days for the marriages that are under the Special Marriage Act to get an appointment.
Who can be a witness?
Anyone who has attended a wedding prior to this wedding and has a proof residence along with a PAN card can be a witness.
‘Tatkal’ Marriage certificate
This is a very convenient service for those who wish to speed up the registration process. In April 2014 the ‘tatkal’ system was launched under which one-day authorization of marriage was ensured. The marriages under this would be given a high priority for registration. Under this service, a certificate can<>be obtained within a day after paying 10,000 as fees.
What are the benefits of the marriage certificate?
The following are the benefits of the marriage certificate:
- Whether you are applying for a passport or you are planning on opening a bank account after the marriage, a Marriage Certificate is certainly required.
- A Marriage certificate is Extremely helpful in obtaining visas for both the husband and the wife.
- Since the foreign embassies in India as well as in countries outside India, do not recognize the traditional, religious marriage, the Marriage Certificate is mandatory for the couple to travel abroad using a spouse visa.
- The Marriage certificate also allows a spouse in claiming bank deposits or insurance returns in case of the death of the depositor or the insurer without any nominee.
Registration fees are Rs 100 for the weddings under the Hindu Marriage Act and Rs 150 for the weddings under the Special Marriage Act. The fees are to be deposited to the cashier of the District along with the attached receipt of the application form.
We have provided a sample for registration form. This needs to be filled and submitted online or offline.