Registration of any motor vehicle with a government authority refers to motor vehicle registration online. This sort of registration is required to establish and certify the connection between the owner and a vehicle. Such a link registration becomes crucial for purposes like taxation, crime detection, and other inquiries.
All the registered vehicles display a vehicle registration plate and own a vehicle registration certificate. Local Regional Transport Offices in India do this registration of motor vehicles of that state. No one can legally drive the vehicle before it is registered with a required government authority. A vehicle registration certificate is valid for a period of 15 years and could be renewed later.
There are a series of steps for getting your motor vehicle registered.
- Step1: Primarily, you need to collect all the documents and visit the Regional Transport Office (RTO). Ensure that you have filled all the required application forms (Form 21, 22, 34, etc.) along with the documents. Also, carry the demand draft for road Tax payable.
- Step2: Once you have collected all the relevant documents, you could visit the RTO of your local town/city and submit the same with all the required application forms and pay all the registration charges at respective counters as well. Keeping two photocopies of all the documents is always recommended.
- Step3: The processing of your application could take almost 2-3 days or even longer at the RTO. Once, it is done, you receive the vehicle number and can take the registration documents from the RTO.
This registration process is quite a facile deal if all the right documents are provided along with the fees at the right time.
Documents required for motor vehicle registration online:
In order to proceed with your registration process, there is a list of documents that you need to submit at the RTO.
The documents demanded by RTO are as follows:
- Application form 20.
- An identity proof which may include PAN card, Aadhar card, Voter ID card, driving license and Passport, and so on.
- Residence proof which may include Aadhar card, voter ID card, ration card, bank account statement, rent agreement (if any), utility bills, and so on.
- Sales tax clearance certificate (applicable when a vehicle is bought and registered in different states)
- 3 copies of the photograph
- A No Objection Certificate from RTO and dealer (applicable only if the vehicle is bought and registered in different states)
The requirement of documents is subject to minor differences varying from one city to another.
Another step left is the payment of registration fees. Let us discuss the same:
- As per the Motor Vehicle Act, the basic registration fees have been updated to Rs. 600.
- Payment of road taxis is also mandatory. If the dealer of your vehicle has already charged you for road tax, then you need to collect a demand draft from the dealer which is to be submitted at the RTO with other documents.
- There might be a few additional charges relating to the process of the hypothecation in case you have taken a loan on your vehicle.
Paying heed to the collection and submission of all the mentioned documents and fees will lead to easy registration of your motor vehicle without any undue objection or obstacle.
Download Form 20: Click Here